I love this broccoli and cauliflower side dish. This is my go-to for those big family Sunday dinners. This is a great dish for those family meat-loving members who are not fans of vegetables. As usual, I used any leftovers I had from previous dishes, cheese that was about to go bad but, it came out perfectly.
Health Benefits of broccoli and cauliflower
Broccoli is a rich source of multiple vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Different cooking methods may affect the vegetable’s nutrient composition, but broccoli is a healthy addition to your diet whether cooked or raw. Cauliflower is quite high in fiber, which is beneficial for overall health. It is is a great source of antioxidants, which protect your cells from harmful free radicals and inflammation.
Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Vegetable Steamer
- Non-stick sausepan
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 head broccoli
- salt pinch
- 100 g bacon bits or diced bacon minced
- Cheddar Cheese for topping
For the Creamy Sauce/Roux
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 ml onion powder
- 5 ml garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Wash and chop the cauliflower and broccoli in medium size chunks. Steam it on an electric vegetable steamer or on a stovetop until the broccoli turns bright green. Remove from heat and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Fry bacon pieces on a non-stick saucepan on medium heat. There is no need to add fat as the bacon will release its own fat. Remove from heat once it starts to brown or turn crispy. Add the bacon to the steamed cauliflower and broccoli.
- To make the roux: in the saucepan used to make bacon with the bacon fat on medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter has melted add the flour while whisking. Let it cook for a minute or so, making sure that it doesn't burn then begin adding liquid while whisking a small amount at a time.
- Reduce the heat to low and keep adding the liquid. Stir until smooth after each addition, making sure there are no lumps. If the texture is thicker than desired, you can add warm water until you get the creamy consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce starting with the onion and garlic powder. Allow the mixture to bubble for at least one minute while whisking then add the cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted and incorporated with the sauce and add to the broccoli and cauliflower bowl.
Leave a comment below and let me know if you enjoyed this creamy broccoli and cauliflower recipe. Do visit the Food section for more easy and budget-friendly recipes to try.