I love natural products that you buy for one thing, then find that they have so many other uses and coconut oil is one of them. It has become my favorite multi-purpose product that I use for almost everything. I try to use products that are natural, not harmful to my sensitive skin and body.
This oil has so many health benefits and that is why it is so popular. I got to know about it when I started the Keto/Banting lifestyle in 2016. Before then, I was living under a rock and just knew it as this smelly oil used in lotions and hair products. Now it has become a family favorite and we can not live without it.
How is coconut oil made?
It is made by pressing fresh coconut meat or dried coconut meat called copra. Unrefined coconut oil uses fresh meat, while the refined oil typically uses copra. An interesting fact is that the Philippines is the greatest worldwide producer of coconut oil according to the Harvard.edu website. I guess that is why their women have shiny and beautiful hair.
Some of the benefits of Coconut Oil
- Fatty acids in the oil can encourage your body to burn fat, and they provide quick energy to your body and brain.
- It is said to have a sun protection factor blocking about 20% of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- Swishing melted coconut oil in your mouth like mouthwash may kill some of the harmful bacteria in the mouth. This may improve dental health and reduce bad breath.
- It has a very high saturated fat content, this makes it one of the best fats for high-heat cooking, including frying.
- It has antibacterial properties that can help treat infections, helps relieve skin irritation and eczema.
- It also has strong antibacterial properties make it a great natural deodorant that contains no chemicals.
Homemade beauty products using coconut oil
Facial Exfoliator or Deodorant:
- 3 Tablespoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 5-10 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. I use baby food glass bottles(purity)
- Using small circular motions, gently rub a teaspoon into your skin. Rinse with warm water, and dry.
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 25-30 drops of spearmint essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients to create a paste and store in an airtight container
- Apply a small amount of natural toothpaste to your toothbrush and REAP the benefits
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
- 7 tablespoons granulated white/brown sugar
- Fresh rose petals
- Mix all the ingredients. Blend using a blender until coarsely
- Apply the body scrub to wet skin over your entire body, massaging in a circular motion for 3-5 minutes. Rinse off well
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons loose green tea
- Use a double boiler on medium heat to melt the coconut oil
- Stir in the green tea
- Cover and simmer on lowest heat setting for 1 hour
- Strain tea from oil with cheesecloth
- Let cool until almost solid
- Then whip using an electric whisk until creamy